Consumption! Capitalism! Consumerism! Christmas! We’re hitting pause and engaging the heart of consumption, capitalism, consumerism and most importantly, the heart of Christmas. What does it mean to celebrate the birth of Jesus, a poor kid from Nazareth who learned his father’s trade and had nowhere to lay his head? Ashley Hales and Shannan Martin join us as we ask: How do we opt out of the glitz and glitter around us to make space in our homes for the baby Messiah born in a manger?
Shannan Martin, author of “The Ministry of Ordinary Places,” is a speaker, blogger, wife, and mom of four. Ashley Hales is a writer, speaker, pastor’s wife, and mother of four. She is the author of “Finding Holy in the Suburbs: Living Faithfully in the Land of Too Much.” Ashley and Shannan join Kayla Craig and Lindsy Wallace for a conversation about staying Christ-centered in a season of excess.
In this episode, we:
- Share how the life of Christ influences our approach to celebrating the Christmas holiday;
- Discuss whether modern capitalism is compatible with Christian living;
- Share how we mindfully engage in gift-giving; and
- Think about how we can emulate the life of Christ as consumers.
Join us as we discuss how we can celebrate Christmas in a capitalistic society while emulating the life of Jesus.
Recommended reading & resources:
- “Finding Holy in the Suburbs” by Ashley Hales
- “The Ministry of Ordinary Places” and “Falling Free” by Shannan Martin
- The Pray as You Go app and podcast
- Shannan Martin’s 12 Ways of Christmas
- Adventconspiracy.org and @adventconspiracy
- The Blessed is She Advent devotional
- Walter Brueggeman’s two Advent devotionals
- Listen to our conversation on ethical fashion with Lauren Pinkston of Wearthy (episode #32).
News, Notes, and Links:
If you’d like to support us to keep Upside Down Podcast ad-free, please visit us here, where you can pledge a few dollars of monthly support to help us pay our bills and keep the conversations going.
Find Ashley on Instagram: @aahales
Find Shannan on Instagram: @shannanwrites
Join the Upside Down Tribe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/upsidedowntribe/?fref=nf