Upside Down Podcast
Season 6 | Episode 94: Persisting in Boundaries
November 08, 2021
KAYLA CRAIG, LINDSY WALLACE, PATRICIA TAYLOR, ALISSA MOLINA
How do you live an open-handed life while protecting your peace? Co-hosts Lindsy Wallace, Alissa Molina, and Kayla Craig explore the topic of boundaries: what they mean and why they’re crucial in our lives, relationships, and the spaces we exist in.
In this episode, we:
- Define what boundaries are and how they can be designed for the mutual health and flourishing of ourselves and others around us
- Consider how boundaries can show up in our lives to help us to rest, safety, and receiving what we need
- Get honest about struggling with the guilt of setting good boundaries
- Talk about how the idea of boundaries can carry negative connotations, especially in church settings in which we (especially women) are expected to sacrifice and pour out constantly
- Discuss the necessity of unlearning the suppression of our needs in order to serve others and replace that with learning how to articulate our needs instead
- Look at the example of Jesus, who often withdrew to lonely places
- Push back against the cultural expectation that we have to do everything and show up a certain way to be valued
- Ask what is ours to press into and what is the most loving thing to do for ourselves and other people
Join us as we dig into why we need boundaries and process out loud what this looks like in our lives. We hope this episode encourages you to check in with yourself. Feel free to share your thoughts on this episode with our community on social media!
News, Notes, and Links:Support the show