Upside Down Podcast
Season 6 | Episode 97: Persistence in Truth Telling with Jemar Tisby
January 11, 2022
Kayla Craig, Lindsy Wallace, Patricia Taylor, Alissa Molina
How do we talk with young people about fighting racism when we’re struggling with it ourselves? Co-hosts Patricia Taylor, Lindsy Wallace, and Kayla Craig talk with Dr. Jemar Tisby—the founder of The Witness, Inc., cohost of the Pass the Mic podcast, and a New York Times bestselling author—about the need to normalize having conversations about racial justice with the young people in our lives.
In this episode, we:
- Discuss how Dr. Tisby’s new book, How to Fight Racism Young Reader’s Edition: A Guide to Standing Up for Racial Justice, came about
- Talk about how you keep going in the pursuit of racial justice when attacks and accusations are thrown your way
- Remember the example of others who persisted before us, like Fannie Lou Hamer
- Point out that Christianity can inspire movements toward equity and justice, despite being used to justify the opposite
- Talk about the importance of digging in with our families when it comes to racial justice and not letting headlines disciple our youth
- Emphasize the need to continue educating ourselves about racism to interrupt generational ignorance
- Ask how we can encourage youth to persist when they see grownups behaving badly
Join us for this inspiring discussion about fighting racism by raising up the next generation of justice seekers. We invite you to share your thoughts with us on Instagram and in our Facebook group!
News, Notes, and Links:
Support the show
- Follow along with Dr. Jemar Tisby on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Substack, and be sure to pick up a copy of his new book, How to Fight Racism Young Reader’s Edition: A Guide to Standing Up for Racial Justice.
- Support more conversations like this on Upside Down Podcast! Please visit us, where you can pledge a few dollars of monthly support to help us pay our bills and keep the conversations going.
- Learn more at Upside Down Podcast.
- We’re on Instagram, too. You can find us individually at @patricia_a_taylor, @kayla_craig, @alissarmolina, and @lindsy.wallace.
- Join the Upside Down Together listener group on Facebook!