Season 6 | Episode 98: Persistence in Grace with Kirsten Powers
January 24, 2022
KAYLA CRAIG, LINDSY WALLACE, PATRICIA TAYLOR, ALISSA MOLINA
Have you ever considered just how paradigm-shifting grace is? Co-hosts Kayla Craig and Lindsy Wallace have a conversation with New York Times bestselling author, USA Today columnist, and CNN Senior Political Analyst Kirsten Powers about her new book, Saving Grace: Speak Your Truth, Stay Centered, and Learn to Coexist with People Who Drive You Nuts. Together, they talk about what grace is—and what it isn’t—and what it can do.
In this episode, we:
- Point out that practicing grace is far from passive or weak and that it’s more for ourselves than for those we extend it to
- Go over what grace looks like as an enneagram 8
- Talk about how trauma influences our relationship with the world and people
- Discuss the trap of dualistic thinking and how it prevents us from empathizing and seeing possibility in others
- Consider how learning from other cultures and belief systems that do not adopt dualistic thinking can help inform us about grace
- Talk about the misappropriation and spiritual bypassing around grace in faith spaces
- Dive into the humanizing effect of grace and how it can dismantle polarizing thinking
Join us for this conversation about the practice of grace and how it can move us toward wholeness and a more just society. We hope it encourages you to live into it more fully and deeply.
News, Notes, and Links:
Support the show
- Want to follow along with Kirsten? You can find her on Facebook, Instagram, and (sometimes) Twitter!
- Be sure to check out her book, Saving Grace: Speak Your Truth, Stay Centered, and Learn to Coexist with People Who Drive You Nuts.
- Support more conversations like this on Upside Down Podcast! Please visit us, where you can pledge a few dollars of monthly support to help us pay our bills and keep the conversations going.
- Learn more at Upside Down Podcast.
- We’re on Instagram, too. You can find us individually at @patricia_a_taylor, @kayla_craig, @from_here_sessions, and @lindsy.wallace.
- Join the Upside Down Together listener group on Facebook!